Sunday, March 14, 2010

Trisomy Awareness Month

March is Trisomy Awareness Month. Please visit www.trisomy.org to see how Trisomy abnormalities have affected so many families. Everyone knows about Trisomy 21, Down Syndrome, and now Trisomy 18, Edwards Syndrome, but there are many other Trisomy abnormalities. There are more families dealing with trisomies than I ever knew about. I never thought anything like this would happen to our family. I was wrong. Please pray for all the families who are living with this new reality, just as we are.

As I was looking at articles about Trisomy 18, I came across this video. I have tried to write about our experience and the choices we have made. This video shows two families that had to make the same decisions as us. When I looked at this video, it was like these families were taking the words out of my mouth. Please watch this to see how when faced with the terrible news, the same that we received 7 months ago, these families faced it with love and grace. As I have said before, when people say how strong they think I am, I say "I am no stronger than the rest." When you are faced with a situation like ours, you find the strength to get through it. I found my strength in God and my family. My nightly prayer has always been, "Thy will be done." I have always prayed for the strength to get through anything that life brings me. I truly believe that through the grace of God, I am getting through it. Some days are easier than others, but I know I will be ok.

I want to share a poem someone sent me a while back. It speaks to everything I am trying to say.

God’s Lent Child
I'll lend you for a little while
A child of mine, God said
For you to love the while she lives
And mourn for when she's dead.
It may be six or seven years
or forty-two or three;
But will you, till I call her back
Take care of her for me?
She'll bring her charm to gladden you
And -should her stay be brief-
You'll have her lovely memories
As a solace for your grief.
I cannot promise she will stay
Since all from Earth return;
But there are lessons taught below
I want this child to learn.
I've looked the whole world over
In my search for teachers true;
And from the things that crowd life's lane
I have chosen you.
Now will you give her all your love?
Nor think the labor in vain?
Nor hate me when I come to take
This lent child home again?
I fancied that I heard them say
"Dear Lord, Thy will be done"
For all the joys Thy child will bring
The risk of grief we'll run.
We will shelter her with tenderness
We'll love her while we may,
And for the happiness we've known
Forever grateful stay.
But should the angels call for her
Much sooner than we've planned,
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes
And try to understand.
~Author Unknown

2 comments:

  1. A wonderful post, Lindsey! The video is very well done; I've shared a link to my page and will refer those in need to your blog ~ thank you. You are creating a quality resource for those who will find themselves in similar circumstances in the near and distant future. What an effective pathway toward healing for you, yours, us and all of the others who will come after. Sydney's life was, and will remain, a very precious one! Much love, laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the link to that video. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete